Wednesday, April 6, 2011

This is how it ALWAYS goes down

People are impatient. So if they know something is coming down the pipe for them (in this case, a new laptop) they hunger for all the information they can get. Their appetite isn't satiable, either, oh no. If you tell them it's 3-5 days until it ships, they will always call you the next day and ask for a new estimate... Um... 2-4 days?

It's even less fun when they ordered it themselves because they call me to find out if I've got it after they check the FedEx/UPS website for status. They're downright cranky if it says "Out for delivery" and I haven't used my magical sysadmin powers to summon their package before they call. I really don't care if it the delivery guy takes until 6pm to drop it off and the mail room doesn't throw it in my office until 3pm the next day. I really don't. :)

Somewhere towards the end of the cycle, I need to set up the local profile for these guys since they're never in the office and without me signing in for them they won't be able to use their laptops when they arrive. Fun. So I send out a customary email when I need a password, requesting they reply directly to the email and not leave a voicemail (to avoid confusion). Here's what happens EVERY time.

Email request sent, almost immediately the phone rings.
I ignore it.... and they don't leave a message.

15 minutes later an email arrives with exactly this body:
Hey, I just tried to call you to give you my password but you weren't there. I'll just email them to you. When will I get this?

Then, about five minutes after the email is sent they call back again (this, too, I ignore) and leave a voice mail about how they hope they got the right information to me.

I'd like to say that it's ironic that they'll keep on this stuff like white on rice, yet when there is a problem they'll put off dealing with it until it's absolutely too late... Perhaps it is. Or perhaps that's just reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment