Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Users are users...

Many of you are aware of VPN and Remote systems that allow you to work outside of the office, just like you were in the office. To the regular users, this is a magical gateway. You click on the pretty icon, put in a code, and it works. Regular users strongly prefer automagical systems such as VPN and Single Sign On because it prevents them from having to use their brain any more than is absolutely necessary.

Usernames and passwords are just too much for the average user... And it seems that all those usernames and passwords they have to remember have pushed out their ability to form comprehensible sentences.

Here we utilize both VPN and Outlook Web Access so that we can keep our people connected wherever they are. Both use a rotating token system for authentication before you can actually sign into the system. If you're using one, you cannot use the other.

Him: I can't log into [owa].
Me: Okay, are you in the office or outside the office?
Him: I'm at home.
Me: What is the username you're using?
Him: I'm using [old]... Hey, I got an email that said my username wend from [old] to [new]. Should I be using [new]?
Me: Yes.
[a little later he tries to describe what he can and cannot access]
Him: I can get into [owa], but [vpn] won't let me on. Earlier I was on [vpn] with [old] and now [old] doesn't work. So I signed in with [old] on [owa] and it worked, and then I tried to sign into [system] with but it said I wasn't allowed into [vpn]

[You lost? Me too... This incomprehensible babble goes one for a long time until we get it sorted out. It turns out he's trying to use both systems. I sort him out and he wants to just try it while I'm on the phone...]

Me:
Are you logged into the vpn right now?
Him: Yes
Me: Which ID did you use?
Him: I don't remember.
Me: Log out and log back in.
[long pause]
Him: Okay, I'm using [new].
Me: Is it letting you in?
Him: NO! It's saying I can't get in!
[I have him try the old ID, and then the new one again, then I wonder..]
Me: Try logging into [owa]
Him: I'm already in [owa]. I needed to check my email..

ugh..

No comments:

Post a Comment